Save or Not Saved That is the Question
It can happen unexpectedly – a squish when you step on the carpet, a rising suspicion as water bubbles up from underneath. With a (hopefully!) quick examination, the source is found: a pipe break. Water damage is a woe for all homeowners, but it doesn’t have to be a death sentence for your carpet.
When Might it be Saved?
There are 3 categories of water damage used for cleanup and repair purposes:
• Category 1 comes from clean sources and has no threat of toxins or harmful material. A pipe break, overflowing sink or tub, or appliance malfunction are all examples of clean water.
• Category 2 is dubbed grey water for its potentially harmful contaminants. Dishwasher overflow, washing machines, or sump pump failures are often culprits of this water damage.
• Category 3 contains high levels of toxins and can be dangerous if contacted or ingested. This includes broken sewage lines and any flooding from the outdoors.
If the water in your home can be classified as category 1, then your chances of restoration are excellent, with the appropriate timing and attention.
What determines when a carpet may be saved?
A professional water cleanup and restoration company will have the appropriate training and supplies to address your pipe break and resulting damage. With a quick response time and industrial strength machines they may salvage your carpet with minimal issue to you. Of course, every water damage situation is different, but here are just a few examples of what the professionals can do:
• Truck-mounted wet/dry vacuums can remove tons of water in a short amount of time.
• High-tech moisture detectors alongside infrared cameras can source remaining moisture embedded in places unseen to the naked eye.
• Industrial strength fans and dehumidifiers will circulate air more rapidly in your home, speeding up the vital drying process.
• Professional cleaning and sanitizing can ensure your carpets are fully restored and safe.
Time is of the essence when water damage infiltrates your home. Be sure to know the number for a cleanup and restoration company in Olympia, WA, SERVPRO of Olympia (360)754-9689
For more information, please visit us at www.SERVPROolympia.com